Wednesday 21 July 2010

Nas X Damian Marley Concert Review...

So last night I finally got to see Nas & Damian Marley live in concert...

As far as expectations for the show...I wanted to hear some classic Nas solo stuff as well as the best of the new album & the stuff I knew from Damian.

When we rocked up to the Apollo, Akala was on stage with his usual yawn (apparently we'd missed Ty...Fail) followed by Semtex & David Rodigan, who had the whole place vibing with some sicka reggae tuneage, he set the show up in a big way (legend).

Next up one of my personal favourite DJs Green Lantern jumps on & gives a quick education in how to rock a Hip Hop crowd & tried to surprise us all by bringing out Jay Electronica who got parred as they didnt turn his mic on!

By this time we were all more than ready, i'd necked two ciders & burned a little spliff, the crowd was amped & I could sense a real mix of Hip Hop & Reggae fans, something I'd not really felt at a concert before...

If youre expecting a track by track breakdown of the show you're reading the wrong blog! BUT, what I can tell you is this...

Nas badly kicked a few classics 'Represent' 'Street Dreams' 'If I ruled the world' 'Got urself a gun' 'Made you look' 'Hate me now' + a couple others but I felt really let down by Nas' solo efforts, he either forgot the words alot, lost his breath alot or was drunk...



















Damian did the obvious 'Welcome to Jamrock' his version of the 'Mission Riddim' & a few other bits i dont know the names of! There were obviously alot of Jr Gong fans in the place & together they did ALOT off the new collab album 'Distant Relatives' including my favourites 'Land of Promise' 'Dispear' 'Patience' 'Nah Mean' 'Tribes at war' & 'Africa Must wake up'



















They ended the show with the lead single off the album 'As We Enter' which had the place going nuts & then a quick tribute to Damian's pops Bob Marley.

Good show overall,  great vibes...must listen to the album more!

No comments:

Post a Comment